Monday, August 27, 2012

Homemade Sugar Scrub or The Sugar Scrub That Could Create World Peace + FREE Printable!


Homemade Coconut Vanilla Sugar Scrub

Is there some kind of blogger rule about how long your post title should be?  If there is, I most definitely broke it.

Listen, in all seriousness, I've seen a million different sugar scrubs flying all over Pinterest these days and I usually blow them off.  My skin is dry year-round and I've never had any results with a sugar scrub until I tried this one.  Please understand that my first blog tutorial would not be some kind of dumb garbage that doesn't work. 

Now, let's make some!! 

First, gather your ingredients.  You'll need:

homemade sugar scrub, ingredients, sugar, coconut oil, essential oils
  • Sugar - plain, granulated, $1.99/bag white sugar
  • Some kind of oil - Olive oil, canola oil, almond oil, use whatever you have on hand.  I used coconut oil because I like the smell and I've convinced myself that it keeps my skin hydrated longer.  This could be total BS, I don't know.
  • Vanilla Extract (or vanilla scented essential oil)
  • Essential Oils (the ones in the picture are coconut and honey almond)
The last two are completely optional.  If you like the smell of sugar and oil, or if you don't have any on hand, skip them.

Next up, measure out some sugar.  The ratio of sugar to oil is 2:1.  I'm using a baby jar, so I only measured out 1/2 cup of sugar.

homemade sugar scrub, 1/2c sugar measured

Pour the sugar into your container.  Use a funnel if you're like me and have zero hand/eye coordination. 

Next, measure out your oil.  If you're using coconut oil, remember that at room tempature coconut oil is solid, but when it heats up it will liquify, thus creating more oil.  Here, to stick with the 2:1 ratio, I measured out a 1/4c of coconut oil.

homemade sugar scrub, coconut oil measured


Put the oil in your jar along with the sugar and stir it up!  Stir it until everything is incorporated.  The final consistency should be gloopy (real technical, I know).  It kinda hangs out on the spoon for a second and then gloops back into the jar. 

homemade sugar scrub, gloopy, spoon, consistency
See what I mean?

At this point, if you don't want to add any scents, you're done!  But, if you do want to add some essential oils, now's the time to do it.  I put in between 5 and 10 drops of coconut essential oil and maybe an 1/8th of a teaspoon of vanilla extract.  Give your scrub a quick stir and go get your shower ready!

The key to using this sugar scrub on your legs is in the process, The Method.  Yes, I'm using capitals.  It's that life-changing.  It's going to sound crazy at first.  You're going to shake your head and say, Laura, you're a frickin idiot, there's no way.  I'm telling you, listen to me, THIS WORKS.  It really, really does.  I didn't take any pictures of this because I sincerely hope you already know how to shave, if you don't, call your mom.

Alright, so, in the shower, do all your normal shower stuff.  Once you've been in there long enough to steam up the bathroom mirror, grab your razor and shaving cream and shave your legs like you normally would.

Once you've shaved your legs and rinsed them off, pop open the sugar scrub and scrub your legs with it.  Rinse it off when your skin starts to tingle from all the scrubbing.  Now, grab your razor and get ready for round two.

See, I told you you'd be shaking your head and calling me an idiot.  Seriously, do it.  I was skeptical at first too.  Shave your legs again, the oil will create a barrier so you don't need to use shaving cream or anything, just shave.

Rinse your razor as often as necessary and try not to look at the yucky dead skin you are shaving off.  

Finish your shower and then before you can get goosebumps FEEL YOUR LEGS.  Seriously, it's amazing, isn't it??  Assuming I don't get goosebumps, my super smooth legs usually last 2 days with no additional lotion or oil; and I can make it 3 or 4 before the stubble gets out of control.  I told you at the beginning this sugar scrub could create world peace!

Now go make some more, wrap it up with a piece of ribbon and a cute spoon and give it to every woman you know.  And since I love ya, I whipped up some super cute labels for you to put on the jars.  Download them here and print using Avery 5163 (or equivalent) labels.

But listen, if you give this stuff as a gift, don't just give them the jar and walk away, or they will throw it with all the other Bath & Body Works rejects in her linen closet.  Tell her The Method.  Let her shake her head and call you an idiot.  Then she will try The Method and she will love you for it.

homemade sugar scrub, final product with spoon and label

You're welcome.


Background Noise for this Project:  Breaking Bad: Season 4, Episode 10:  Salud

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry for the word verification, but spammers are driving me nuts!!

Pin It